Using ArcMap in ArcGIS Desktop 10 by ESRI Training
This course introduces key new ArcMap features that can improve the quality of your maps and reduce the amount of time that you spend on common map production tasks.
Note: The video in this course was recorded during a live training seminar.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Use new ArcMap features, including the embedded Catalog window, symbol search, and basemap layers.
- Add dynamic text to a map layout.
- Use Data Driven Pages to create a map series.
To complete exercises, you need the following:
ArcGIS 10.0 For Desktop (ArcView, ArcEditor, Or ArcInfo)
DATADownload zip file
About the presenters
Joel McCuneJoel McCune is an instructor with the ESRI Educational Services team in Charlotte, North Carolina, where he teaches courses on ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Spatial Analyst.
Ruper EssingerRupert Essinger is a product engineer who works on the ArcGIS development team in Redlands, California.
Exercise: Explore new functionality in ArcMap 10Tutorial
1. Basemap layers are available only for layers accessed from ArcGIS Online.
2. The Symbol Selector window can be resized.
3. A basemap layer can contain both vector and raster data.
4. You can create your own basemap layer by right-clicking the data frame in the table of contents and choosing New Basemap Layer, and then dragging other layers into this basemap layer.
5. The extent options when setting up Data Driven pages are as follows:
- Best Fit
- Center And Maintain Current Scale
- Data Driven Scale
6. Background processing refers to the ability to work in ArcMap while simultaneously running geoprocessing tools.
7. Scenario: Suppose you open the attribute table for the Streets layer and then open another attribute table for the Parcels layer.
What would you see in the Table window?
A. A message that only one attribute table can be viewed
B. The Streets attribute table
C. The Parcels attribute table
D. Both the Parcels and the Streets attribute tables
8. If you click the title bar of the Catalog window and cannot drag and dock the window to another location, which of the following would explain your inability to do so?
A. You can't move a window by clicking and dragging the window's title bar.
B. You have not disabled the window's auto hide behavior.
C. Docking targets must be set before moving a window.
D. This specific window cannot be moved to another location.
9. Which of the following statements is true for adding data from ArcGIS Online?
A. You can access available ArcGIS Online content by right-clicking within the map and choosing Add Data from ArcGIS Online.
B. ArcGIS Online content may be added to the map by clicking the down arrow next to the Add Data button.
C. ArcGIS Online layers are all created by Esri.
D. All ArcGIS Online content is served as basemap layers.
10. If you are exporting map pages using Data Driven Pages, PDF is the only format that allows for automatically exporting all the pages.